Saturday, September 27, 2008

A families love for one another.

Today Jonathon and I went to the zoo. It was a reward for being such a good boy at home this week. We had a really good time and walked all over the entire zoo and saw every animal there. Before we went to the zoo, we went to McDonald's so he could play on the playground since the one at the zoo is getting a makeover. He was so excited and had a blast with Mama.

On the way back home, we stopped by Wal-Mart and we picked up a preschool workbook so we could work on school stuff at home, just to give him a little extra help. Tony and I had talked about ways we could handle his issues in school, and decided as a family we all need to give Jonathon more one on one time. I spend all day with him, but the others are so busy that they forget.

Tony and I sat down with Jonathon and worked a couple of pages in the workbook. One of the pages is about the number 2. Jonathon has no trouble recognizing all of the letters and numbers, but this particular page had a place to practice writing the number. He started out tracing it, and did a great job with that. It took a few times showing him how to hold the crayon, but he did trace it. Then it came to trying to draw the number on his own. That is where he had real trouble. We tried and tried, but he just wouldn't try by himself. We tried helping his hand write the number and he watched as the crayon made the number, but when we let go, he would lose concentration. Then he became frustrated, we all became frustrated. I know we shouldn't have, but it is hard to see him struggle and become frustrated in himself. Jonathon got upset and started to cry and say he couldn't do anything. We asked why he said that and he said because Daddy said he couldn't. Now no one in this house has ever said that, not ever. I don't know where that came from, and why, but he was so upset that we had to stop. It took a while, but we consoled him and after calming down and getting still he fell asleep in my arms on the couch.

I put him in his bed and he slept for a few hours. After he woke, he was in a better mood, but I decided not to approach the workbook again today. We instead talked about how he could do anything he wanted, he could be anything he wanted, and how smart he is. We spent the rest of the evening giving each other hugs and kisses and reinforcing how smart he is and what a big boy he is and how proud mama is of him.

Kyle and Emil got back from their football game later on, and I talked to Kyle. I told him how the teacher thought Jonathon was having some issues and that we were concerned. Kyle froze, and said, "Jonathon?". He looked sad and almost like he was about to cry, but him being a teenager, he didn't. I told both him and Emil that we need to each spend time with him one on one. They both agreed and we discussed some ways they could help. They are going to put forth the effort to spend a few minutes a day helping Jonathon. They are going to be big brothers that care about their little brother and show it. It touched my heart the real concern Kyle showed. The same with Emil. They both were serious and ready to help out our little man. Jonathon came out of his room about that time and told me he loved me again, I never get tired of hearing that. He gave me a hug and a kiss and walked back to his room. Then he came out into the hall and told both Emil and Kyle that he loved them and gave them both hugs. Such a touching moment for all of them. I believe that is the first hug Jonathon has given Emil.

So anyway, we are all united, and we are all in this together. The boys can help just by being concerned and showing they care. Jonathon looks up to them and having them help I am sure will help Jonathon to come around. I am anxious for the observation, more to see what someone else thinks. I am also anxious about next week in school for him, since we are trying to change some of the behaviors ourselves with just talking to him and explaining things. I will be anxious to know if just one thing gets better because of it.

I also sent his teacher an email telling her of the things we are trying, so that she may use some of the key phrases if need be in class. One of the things we have stressed is to only worry about himself and if he is doing what he should. He shouldn't worry about the other kids doing the right thing. We ask him, "Who do you need to worry about?" and he says, "Me." Then we ask him "Who else?" and he says, "No one." So maybe that will help. Maybe just a few times reminding him will turn that around.

I must say, though, that Jonathon is lucky to have two big brothers who care about him and want to help. He is also lucky to have a great teacher and school who show concern for him. I am glad we know this, and I know we can get through it, as a family.

No comments: