Thursday, September 11, 2008

Open House with all the other parents


I was FINALLY able to attend an open house this year. In the past, I have worked and never seemed to have the night off when Open House came around for Kyle. I have always wanted to go and meet his teachers and walk through his schedule and see what he complains about. :)

This time, though, I have two students in High School. Tony had to work, so I had to go by myself and flip a coin as to who's schedule I would follow. Emil was the lucky winner. Afterwards, I realized that he should have been the one I followed, because Kyle does complain and talk about his classes, Emil so far has been quiet about the classes and grades.

So, I walked into a gymnasium filled to capacity to hear the speeches given by the Principal and other members of the staff before being let out to find his homeroom classroom numbered B 119. After finding another band mom, I was able to find B hall, and walked around the complete circle of a hallway until I finally found B 119. There I got Emil's schedule and was dismissed to the first class of the evening.


The first class was English III. Now, for Emil, English is, of course, his second language. This class would send me reeling, not to mention someone who is trying to perfect the usage of everyday English vocabulary. I didn't recognize a single word in the vocabulary list on the board. We were given a questionnaire to fill out to give the teacher an insight into our children. I only answered a couple of questions, but the final question was something to the effect of what we hope our children will get from this class. Well, I truthfully answered that I hope he can leave having learned one thing. I don't care what that one thing is, but I hope he can find it and learn it. I explained we don't expect A's or B's or even D's, we just expect effort and a good 'ole college try. Failure is not failure if he gave his best.

So anyway, fast forward through study hall (where I got a glass of tea and a cookie), History, German II (hehe), Algebra II (where I saw the other Ravenwood exchange student host mother) Wind Orchestra, and Chemistry. I finally was through a normal day of classes and ready to go home. I took my stack of papers and headed out into the mass of cars that an 1,800 student school produces. Now I know why it takes Kyle so long to get home in the afternoon.

As I walked in the door, I announced the winner of the coin toss and Kyle looked a little bummed. I assured him, though, that if he wanted me to meet his teachers, I would be glad to go to Conferences, when I was quickly told "NO!" (hehe) Emil, on the other hand looked a little excited as well as nervous of what I had heard. Since we only spent 10 minutes in each class, I assured him I had no idea of his grades, but that I did know a progress report is due in the mail in a few days. I did, however, sign up for the parent connection site that will give us access to live grades and attendance. Emil wanted to see his grade immediately, but the school must approve my login prior to seeing them. Emil informed me he was having a hard time in English. Nothing that I did not already expect, however. I explained my theory, that failure is not failure if it is your best. He looked a little perplexed, but after explaining that as long as he tried his best, we would have no problems. Like any teenager, he asked what if he didn't. To which I answered "We would have a problem." The next question was what consequences there would be to failure without effort. I explained that he would be spending time with me studying and maybe, just maybe, I could learn a word or two as well.

So, I think he may give it a little more effort, which is good, but I really don't expect much especially this first grading period. After all, English in America is totally different from English in Austria. One is learning a language, one is learning what the crap MLA is.

Good Luck, Emil.

No comments: