Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Those are That and These are This, Though.


Yeah, you read that right. Make any sense to you? Me either.

Those are a few of the words that Emil has asked me to explain. He knows the words, but the correct usage and meaning are giving him trouble. Man, I wish I had paid more attention in English class. I have done my best to explain the meanings that I can think of, did my best to use them correctly, and even ran off to look them up in Webster's. He is doing so good in adjusting, and is learning something all the time, but he's putting my brain to the test, too. I guess I am the English teacher in the house. The other day, I was sitting alone on the back porch, and heard the door open, My husband Tony, Kyle and Emil came out the door all smiling. That's when I was asked yet another definition and usage question. I had to laugh, because Tony always said his best class in school was English.

Band season is starting to crank up. Football at Ravenwood has started, and just last Friday was the first time the band wore their uniforms. This Friday is another home game against Franklin, when I get to say hello to my friend and assistant band director of Franklin High School, Kerry Vaughn.

Saturday Emil gets to head off for a weekend with AFS at Mammoth Cave. He will spend the night there in a cabin with his fellow AFS'ers from the Tennessee, Kentucky, and Mississippi area. He is really excited for the trip, and is planning his talent for the talent show. Sunday when he returns, he will meet Tony's side of the family at the Smiley family reunion. None of them have met him yet, and I am sure he will have a fun time trying to understand their accent.

While Emil is gone, Kyle will participate in the Williamson County Exhibition at Page High School, my old home! This is not a band contest, but a showcase of all the high school bands in Williamson County. I will put my band mom hat on again and be riding the bus with the kids as a chaperone.

No comments: